Let's visit the hardware store
I often find myself lost in hardware stores. Whenever I visit a place like Home Depot I just end up:
- Lost in the aisles trying to find the thing that I'm looking for.
- Complaining at how big this place is and wondering why I didn't just go on Amazon.
- Getting stiff neck for looking up too much.
- Failing to explain what I'm trying to find to customer service. This includes excessive hand gestures.
- Getting eye strain from reading labels and looking at shit.
- Running into a thing that I've never seen before and completely gushing over how awesome it is.
So it's probably because I don't go to hardware stores often, but I find going to one mostly tiring and frustrating.
Wait where are you going with this? You're gonna talk about Jav—
It can get pretty damn frustrating.
Why are people making so many tools?!
People run into problems when doing web development, and they figure out different ways to solve these problems. It's honestly as simple as that. So you have to realize that it's not about people trying to sabotage the whole ecosystem by building tools on tools on tools.
It's just people solving problems.
So you can't get too frustrated about it. It's just people making things easier for themselves and solving problems.
Well, I can't possibly go through all of these tools, though.
Yes! You can't.
Here's what you can do though: You can learn these tools on the job. Now if you don't have an actual job in programming, you can do several things:
- Give open source a shot. Learn the tools that the project uses and stick with it.
- Steal websites. Learn how other websites are made by doing some detective work!
- Build a habit and ignore FOMO. This is the most important one. Build a habit contributing to open source and stealing websites and don't be distracted with all the shiny stuff that's out there!
So don't fuss. It takes baby steps to learn something and it takes especially long to be good at something.
So remember the hardware store
So whenever you feel frustrated about how much tools are out there and how much you have to learn, remember the hardware store. When you need to get something done, you don't need all the tools in the hardware store. You only need a few, specific ones.